SPRING TRAINING

Each spring, teams in Career Associations hold training camps to prepare their players for the new season. As the manager, you can allocate percentages of training time to each of the individual skill ratings. (See Player Ratings for details.) If sufficient training time is allocated to a particular skill, a player’s actual ratings for that skill will increase. The amount of increase in actual ratings depends on the amount of training time allocated and the percentage of his potential ratings the player has reached. If a player has an actual rating that is very close to his potential, very little increase will be gained even by a large amount of training.

Training Allocations for all players will be made automatically by the computer after the Free Agent draft (and Initial draft, if selected during the Create Association process), unless the player has 100% of his training time already allocated. You may modify the training schedule for any player on your team after the computer has set it. For example, if the Championship series, your star 3rd baseman fails to get a base hit and you lose the game. You could immediately set his training time for Contact Hitting to 30%, and fill out the other 70% for other ratings. The computer will then not touch his allocation time (since it is 100%), when it fills out the other players on your team.

Teams must be human-owned in order for you to change the training time allocations. To do this, select Training Allocations from the Team menu.

When you are satisfied with your team's training allocations, select Start Spring Training from the Association menu. If any teams have incomplete allocations, a dialog box will list those teams and ask whether you want to have the computer finish assigning their training allocations.

TRAINING ALLOCATIONS

One of the cool features of FPS: Baseball is that you can actually help players improve over the course of their career. This is done by allocating Spring Training time to different ratings. A team must be human-owned in order to change training allocations.

At the end of a season, players will undergo aging. Aging will tend to raise or lower a player's ratings, depending on the rating and the player's age. During Spring Training, the player must apply a certain amount of time to his ratings in order to maintain their current level (after aging effects). If the player puts the minimum required amount of time into their ratings, they will likely see no change to the ratings, they will simply be maintained. If the player puts additional time into a rating, may see an increase in that rating. If a player puts less than the minimum amount of time into a rating, he will see a significant decrease in that rating.

Spring Training Allocations are available throughout the season. This allows you to make changes to the player's upcoming Spring Training time whenever you notice a shortcoming during the current season. The player doesn't train at that time (he must wait until the next spring); this is more of a "note pad" feature, allowing you to make notes during the season about how you will want the player to train next spring.

IMPORTANT! If any players do not have 100% allocated when you select Start Spring Training from the Association menu, you will be asked if you want to have the computer fill in the remaining time. If you do not allocate 100% of the player's time, FPS: Baseball will allocate all 100% of the player's time; for example, if you allocate 20% of a pitcher's time to a Curve ball (CB), and allocate nothing else, the pitcher probably will not end up with 20% allocated to CB after FPS: Baseball has allocated the time.

You can allocate training time for each player in increments of 5%, dividing it among the various skills. You cannot exceed a total of 100%. The minimum amount of time that a player will need is based on the rating. CH, PH, and SP all require a 20% allocation to maintain their current levels. CO rating requires 15%. Non-pitcher FA rating requires 5% (due to a patch we added to game to give players a better chance of improving the minimum to maintain a non-Pitcher's FA... used to be 15%). AS, EN, HR, pitcher-FA, and all pitch ratings require a minimum of 10% training time to maintain their level.

Players in the LOW minors will benefit from additional training and will get a slight edge in ratings development.

The player’s current rating for each skill is shown. Click the arrows beside the displayed allocation percentage to increase or decrease the amount of time the player will spend improving that particular skill. Players may have a fielding rating for all nine defensive positions. Those positions for which they are qualified are indicated by the check boxes next to each position. Training time can be allocated for each individual fielding position, with the exception of the three outfield positions, which use the same training allocation.