Overly Premature Draft Evaluations: 2055
Executor_Ryno Offline
Veteran

Overly Premature Draft Evaluations: 2055
Sorry for the delay, been a pretty busy week. But there is work to be done. Here are the overly premature winners and losers of this year's Ammy Draft

The Winners

Cairo - Can't fault Cairo for taking the speediest player in the draft pool. At 19, Tovar has a lot of room to grow and looks to be a key piece of the Scorpion's rebuild going forward. Cairo also landed Erwin Pressley, a 3-pitch guy with a high-floor. Their biggest win though is definitely getting Al Stanley in the middle of Round 2 (with my pick no less). Another 20 yr old with an already high floor, Stanley has one of the stronger arms of the pool and should have gone much sooner.

Cozumel - Winners for sheer quantity more than anything else. The Mayans kicked off their rebuild this season and if all of their picks develop, they'll already have a full rotation, plus a backstop, center fielder, and third baseman. Even if not, they're off to a good start.

Vancouver - Whether of not Tovar works out for Cairo, I can see the #2 pick Eddie Campbell going far for the Mounties. Second round pick Wolfe looks like he could turn into a lights-out closing option with that base 82 fastball. Third round pick Chan Shipley is a wildcard, but that's always the case with third rounders.

The Losers

Sydney/Argentina/Dublin/Jamaica - Y'all know the drill by now. Skipped picks prior to the 3rd round lands you here.

The Dark Horses

Amity - 17 yr old RF Marty Brainard was the Sharks' only grab in this draft. Left-handed power is always nice and if he can develop his contact hitting, glove, and arm to match, then the Sharks will have much to smile about.

Milan - After being on Autopick for the past 2 ammy drafts, Milan returned to action picking SP Pit Brandt and C Tom Howe in the first two rounds before leaving it wide open for the czar to pick their round 3 (and honestly I just picked the guy with the best-sounding name). Brandt will live or die by how well that fastball develops. I like the switch-hitting Howe. Only real concern for him is already being 22 he doesn't have much development time before his clock will need to start under the new Rule 5 system.

Havana - The Cigars took from crowded 1B with their first pick, though Thoney's speed does separate him from the rest. SS Kernak looks like a plus defender who hopefully develops his hitting well enough to be a key piece for the Cigs. SP Melton doesn't look like anything special, but could be a solid back-end starter. RP Hogue has a terrific arm and a darn good sinker. Gotta see how that command develops though.

Well there you have it. Agree. Disagree. Post your own choices.

Ryno, Executor of the Zealots, Sophomore Draft Czar.
Barnes Division Champs - 2055
Francisco Matthei - 2054 ROY

"For Aiur"
09-01-2018 07:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cairo Offline
Uber Fanaticus Weaverus

RE: Overly Premature Draft Evaluations: 2055
(09-01-2018 07:03 PM)Executor_Ryno Wrote:  Cairo - Can't fault Cairo for taking the speediest player in the draft pool. At 19, Tovar has a lot of room to grow and looks to be a key piece of the Scorpion's rebuild going forward. Cairo also landed Erwin Pressley, a 3-pitch guy with a high-floor. Their biggest win though is definitely getting Al Stanley in the middle of Round 2 (with my pick no less). Another 20 yr old with an already high floor, Stanley has one of the stronger arms of the pool and should have gone much sooner.
Funny thing is... I has my list at #1 down to two names.

Tovar and Pressley

Obviously pretty happy to land both Smile

Stanley seemed like a "no brainer" type of pick that late.

2021 & 2032 Weaver Champs
2021 & 2032 Blizzard League Champs
2021, 2022, 2031, 2032, 2033 & 2034 Barnes Division Champs

2041 - Worst Team Ever 16 wins, 146 losses
(This post was last modified: 09-01-2018 07:53 PM by Cairo.)
09-01-2018 07:52 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
rastasquad Offline
Uber Fanaticus Weaverus

RE: Overly Premature Draft Evaluations: 2055
forgot all about my list. working nights is killing me. might be ready to go back to days soon

1997-2027 Complete Train Wreck!!!
2028,2029, 2037, 2039, 2040 and 2041 Roehm Division Champions
2029, 2037, and 2041 Blizzard League Champions
2029, and 2037 Winners of the Weaver Cup of Ultimate Power!!!
09-02-2018 01:43 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply