NHL Relocation
havana Offline
SysOp

NHL Relocation
flames trying to bully a new arena out of calgary politicians
melnyk floating a sens move out of ottawa, team "losing money"...

just seems crazy to me that a team would want to leave rabid fanbases in canada... if anything, I would think there would be MORE canadian teams. nordiques pt deux, second teams in vancouver and GTA (maybe hamilton, or markham?)

Register - http://register.weaverball.com
VirtualGM - http://virtualgm.weaverball.com
12-15-2017 08:45 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Cairo Offline
Uber Fanaticus Weaverus

RE: NHL Relocation
(12-15-2017 08:45 PM)havana Wrote:  flames trying to bully a new arena out of calgary politicians
There is already a Seattle Flames Twitter account, haha.

https://twitter.com/nhlflamessea?lang=en

I do prefer the "Seattle Snowflakes" suggestion being made Smile

2021 & 2032 Weaver Champs
2021 & 2032 Blizzard League Champs
2021, 2022, 2031, 2032, 2033 & 2034 Barnes Division Champs

2041 - Worst Team Ever 16 wins, 146 losses
12-15-2017 09:33 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
strac Offline
Rookie

...they, the owners, could build an arena by themselves but don't want to so if it persists with no city money i think that they will sell the team here in Calgary.....

Baseball is a skilled game. It's America's game -- it, and high taxes.
Will Rogers (1879 - 1935)
12-17-2017 02:40 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
havana Offline
SysOp

I think one of the pundits I was reading was talking Houston Flames, which totally looks feasible. Big big US market and Fertitta is thirsty to own another sports franchise.

Register - http://register.weaverball.com
VirtualGM - http://virtualgm.weaverball.com
12-17-2017 11:11 PM
Rio de Janerio Online
Uber Fanaticus Weaverus

there may be a rabid fanbase in canada.... everywhere but ottawa

they didn't sell out their playoff games last year. terrible fans in that town. i expect a move to seattle or quebec city for that franchise.

5x Weaver Champions
11x Blizzard Champions
19x Roehm Champions
12-20-2017 12:53 PM
volcano Offline
Rookie

(12-20-2017 12:53 PM)Rio de Janerio Wrote:  there may be a rabid fanbase in canada.... everywhere but ottawa

they didn't sell out their playoff games last year. terrible fans in that town. i expect a move to seattle or quebec city for that franchise.

yup very fair weather fans here....we had AAA Baseball that was the Montreal farm team....set attendance records and then because no attachment to Cdn team AAA folds up and leaves town...at least my men's league gets to use the stadium.

the hockey fans are pitiful but the arena is in the worst place...they put it at the furthest western point of the greater ottawa area....fans from the East side of town take an hour to get there in decent traffic..I've turned down free tickets because i'm a 40min drive from the rink.

I'm a Leaf fan and it drives me nuts at Sens games once the 50/50 ticket is announced a good 25% clear out no matter what is going on in the game. and no I'm not that fan that wears a Leaf jersey to a game when the Leafs aren't playing.

Honolulu

"I never got many questions about my managing. I tried to get twenty-five guys who didn't ask questions."

~Earl Weaver
12-20-2017 09:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Rio de Janerio Online
Uber Fanaticus Weaverus

(12-20-2017 09:52 PM)volcano Wrote:  the hockey fans are pitiful but the arena is in the worst place...they put it at the furthest western point of the greater ottawa area....fans from the East side of town take an hour to get there in decent traffic..I've turned down free tickets because i'm a 40min drive from the rink.

i think the location of the arena is just an excuse. you hand a leaf fan who lives in barrie (90 mins away) free tickets and their butts will be in the seats that night. 60 minutes is nothing, people drive that to see a leaf games all the time (think hamilton or pickering residents) but for some reason that is not the case in ottawa. there should be no excuse to not selling out a game 7 of the playoffs.. yet it happens in ottawa.

5x Weaver Champions
11x Blizzard Champions
19x Roehm Champions
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2017 09:42 AM by Rio de Janerio.)
12-21-2017 09:41 AM